I am in a fantastic mood. The sun is shining here in Maine, it’s going to be a nice weekend and I am looking forward to getting outside, maybe some walking, tennis, not sure, but definitely outside.
I am taking a CPR class on Sunday, which I am excited about. This is a pre-requisite to taking my ACE Personal Trainer certification exam. I don’t have to take my exam until this summer, but I’m antsy and I am trying to absorb as much information as possible, I’m ready to get going!
Today’s training at the gym was a bit compromised by the new tattoo on my hip. Squatting was a tad uncomfortable, but as a gymaholic, I couldn’t not go. Friday has traditionally always been a leg and glute day; however, as I’ve realized my upper body is lacking in strength, I am now trying to include some upper body movements in all of my training days.
My Fitness Friday
Legs & Glutes
- Barbell Squats – 4 sets of 12 reps
- Barbell Hip Thrusts – 4 sets of 8 reps
- Plie Dumbbell Squats (stand on top of two benches for added depth) – 4 sets of 12 reps
- Calf raises on a smith machine – 4 sets of 12 reps. I stand on a step platform, these babies burn!
- Smith Machine Military Press – 3 sets of 6 reps. I use the smith machine because I don’t have a spotter and I don’t want to drop the barbell on my face. (I’m clumsy like that)
- Upright Barbell Row – 4 sets of 10
- Arnold Dumbbell Press – I love to do drop sets with this exercise. I lift until failure and then I drop the weight 5 pounds and immediately lift to failure again. This really sets my shoulders on fire.
- Finally, I finish with an nice isolation exercise, the Front Plate Raise , 4 sets or 10.
When I’m done, lifting my arms above my head is a chore. I cap off the morning with a 15 minute walk at a fast pace on the treadmill.
Happy Friday everyone, stay on track this weekend with your fitness goals, get out and move!